Sunday, May 28, 2006

From Russia With Love























This drawing is from a series I started in March titled From Russia With Love. It will eventually involve approximately 75 ink portraits of Russian Mail Order Brides, all drawn from internet sites. I am also planning on making a corresponding "catalogue" bookwork multiple, which will include selections from the series. If all goes as planned, both the bookwork and the drawing series will be exhibited together as a storefront installation at Fly Gallery for the month of October. I've finished 16 portraits so far, and now that I'm finished all the prep work for the White Wash exhibit, I'm finally free to continue full steam ahead with the rest of them...

Some of my earliest work involved serial portraits (yearbook photos), so it's funny that I'm revisiting familiar territory with these drawings. As the work progresses, I'll post more sample drawings, and provide a bit more of an explanation about the concept...


No comments: