Sunday, June 17, 2007

From Russia With Love













I found this photo of the Russia installation on a photo-blog called
pause by Drew Thomas Levy. What a great picture! The following caption accompanied the photo...

'from russia with love'

Toronto, ON | June 2007

I was walking along College Street east of Bathurst this morning, when I noticed this display in the window of 'She Said Boom,' a used book and record shop on the north side of Kensington Market. The piece, by a Toronto artist named Tara Bursey, is entitled 'From Russia with Love' and features 54 portraits of Russian 'mail-order brides' drawn from photographs found by the artist on internet websites. The portraits caught my eye, and only in part because they reminded me of Walker Evan's photograph (pictured below) 'Penny Picture Display, Savannah, Georgia, 1936.'

http://pause.my-expressions.com

No comments: