Friday, May 07, 2010

Richard Kern






















I've never been a fan of his work, but in keeping with the last post, here's another quote, this one from Richard Kern found in a recent interview from the latest issue of Eye Weekly. I feel like both Kern's quote and the Agnes Martin quote below are two sides of the same coin.

"I know underground culture is out there somewhere right now but I don’t know what it is. I don’t do Facebook or Twitter. I’m on the ’net nonstop but, and it may be a stupid thing to say, but I feel like Facebook is like joining a fraternity. It’s just a giant group of people saying, “Hey, let’s all do this.” The challenge to me now would be to somehow get outside of all of that stuff, where nobody is. All I know is that if there’s something you want to do you’ve just got to do it, all the time. People who are making good art aren’t sitting around on Facebook all day."

If you're into pictures of naked lady parts, Richard Kern has a show up at Studio Gallery in Toronto until May 30.

No comments: